7/10/2010

Can you spare just three minutes???

My daughter and I were discussing coffee brewers. Not K cup brewers, she won't go there with me, it is a loosing battle. Yeah, I know they ARE POPULAR. It is the WHY that I just don't get .

Like I have said here on the blog, I have tried them three times. K-Cups produce a substance, all be it dark that tastes like it was filtered through a homeless man's underpants. Now I am reading that consumers are complaining of a plastic like taste that resonates and stays with them.  Could this be from the pressureized 198 degree hopefully filtered water being forced through this plastic recepticle in less that 45 seconds?  YEAH!  You don't get this with a pod and a pod is recycleable.

Ok, I went off on a tangent. Back to coffee brewers. Why do some brewers have all the bells and whistles? i.e..buttons, clocks, lights?

Have we all collectively forgot the purpose of a coffee brewer? It is to brew a consistent quality cup of coffee, if you are using a single cup brewer, or a carafe of 10 to 12 cups of coffee for a gathering.

The buttons are for programming. Programming your cup or carafe to be ready for you in the morning. Operative word is morning, like HOURS from now. Ok, I guess the majority of us don't have a measly three minutes to wait for our FRESH cup of coffee anymore, hence the popularity (added expense too!) of buttons, clocks, lights what have you.

I say FRESH, because evidently...the majority of us out there who probably buy a good quality brand of their favourite coffee only to put it OUT to have the air-the worst enemy of the coffee to bombard it overnight as it sits there in the filter basket awaiting the bells, and whistles to get it started at whatever time was programmed in! Some may say I am being ridiculous and overstating the loss of quality that a brew to be looses over this time span. Maybe, but I don't think so.

But I still have three (3) minutes to get a FRESH, not affected by the air cup of coffee, thank you. Bet many of you never gave this any thought, eh?
Then again,  how many of you think a k cup produces the best coffee ever?  Gotta love that plastic!

No comments: